Nursing home negligence claims
At Harris & Harris, we understand what it means to our clients to find answers and pursue accountability when their loved ones have been the victims of nursing home abuse or neglect. Not only have our clients suffered an injustice by spending money for care that was not properly provided, but now their loved one has suffered because of that inadequate care.
Unfortunately, many nursing homes are underfunded, overcrowded and understaffed. In addition, the nurses and care assistants who tend to the nursing home residents are frequently under-trained. This combination of factors contributes to many injuries that potentially could have been avoidable, including:
- Injury from malnutrition or dehydration
- Wrongful death
- Infections from bed sores which went untreated
- Broken bones (particularly hip injuries, since these are often catastrophic for the elderly) from falls out of bed, out of chairs, or out of wheelchairs
- Fractures from falls that occurred when the individual should have been supervised
- Unexplained bruises or other injuries potentially caused by physical abuse
Elderly residents of a nursing home are particularly vulnerable to serious illness or infection. When seriously injured, it can be difficult to recover fully. In fact, many elderly individuals who suffer from a serious injury in a nursing home or rehabilitation hospital slowly decline over the months until, eventually, their body just gives up. Had they received the proper care and attention they deserved from the beginning, the initial injury or illness may never have occurred. Harris & Harris Lawyers do everything possible to hold nursing home staff and care facilities accountable for their negligent or abusive actions.