Have Time For A Call? Our Bus Accident Attorneys Are Ready To Listen To You!
Don’t Have Time To Talk Now? Fill Out The Contact Form Below With A Time That Suits And We Will Get Back To You.
Bus safety has improved in recent decades but bus accidents are still somewhat common. Due to their size and weight, bus accidents often cause significant damage and injury.. If you have been in an accident involving any type of bus, it’s important you contact a Las Vegas bus accident lawyer who can evaluate your case and provide the best legal advice.
The term “bus accident” may refer to a collision between a bus and any of the following:
- Another motor vehicle
- An inanimate object, such as a light post, trees, guardrails, etc.
- A pedestrian
- An animal
Bus accidents are much more complicated than typical automobile accidents due to the many complicated laws that regulate bus accidents.. The investigation process to determine fault can be lengthy and may be taken over by the bus company. It is crucial for victims to hire an experienced bus accident attorney to help them get what they deserve.
Filing Accident Claims
In a typical car accident, each driver is responsible for collecting evidence of the incident and filing claims to the insurance companies. When a commercial bus is involved, the company operating the bus tries to take over so they can control the narrative. As the bus company makes attempts to minimize its responsibility, victims of the accident are taken advantage of.. This is why it is very important to have an experienced Las Vegas accident attorney on your side fighting against big bus companies for you.
Types of Buses
There are several types of buses that may be involved in a bus crash. Each category has its own laws and regulations and a unique organizational layout.
Many tour buses are very large- some are even of double decker and open-roof design. This can lead to serious injury in the case of a crash. Tour buses, including charter buses, do not have as many regulations as city and school buses. The Arizona Department of Public Safety is likely to investigate these accidents.
Public buses can be a very convenient mode of transportation within a city. Both the circumstances of these bus crashes and the entity responsible for their operations affects how to prove liability and obtain compensation.
The National School Transportation Association, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the American School Bus Council, as well as other groups, are responsible for overseeing regulations related to school buses in Nevada. Many school buses are not equipped with seat belts or they do not enforce the usage of seat belts. This may increase injury in the event of a crash.
Because there are so many variables when it comes to bus accidents, it’s important you consult with a Las Vegas bus accident lawyer who is experienced in these nuances.
Who is Responsible for a Bus Accident?
Determining liability can be the most difficult part of a case involving a bus accident. Several parties are usually involved and multiple groups may be deemed partially responsible. Some of the individuals or groups that may be responsible include:
- The driver
- Supervisors of the driver
- The bus company
- The maintenance company
- Other drivers
- The government (for city buses)
Caps on Damages for Compensation
Depending on whether the bus involved was a city or private bus, compensation caps may range from $100,000 (government) to more than $1,000,000 (private). These numbers represent the maximum amount of money an entity can be forced to pay per accident. If there are many victims, the maximum amount of compensation each could receive decreases.
What to Do if You're Involved in a Bus Accident
In the unfortunate case that you are involved in a bus accident, it may be difficult to think of what to do next. Though it can be very difficult to fight a big bus company, there are some things you can do to defend yourself:
- Collect as much evidence as possible. Be sure to record what you know about the time and location of the accident, the circumstances surrounding the accident, and details regarding the specific bus involved (bus number, operating company, route, etc.).
- Keep records of medical bills. Write down exactly what injuries you received, what the pain of these injuries were (for pain and suffering damages), and keep receipts of all associated costs. Take pictures and videos when available.
- Contact a Las Vegas accident lawyer for legal advice.
- Big bus companies work very hard to minimize the possibility of being held responsible for an accident. There is a lot of red tape and bureaucracy involved in a bus accident. The law process can be very lengthy and expensive, requiring intimate knowledge of the law on a local, state, and federal level. Having a law group who understands these complex laws and can stand up to corporations is crucial for getting you the compensation you deserve.
Bus Accident Attorney Will Fight for You
At the Las Vegas law office of Harris & Harris Injury Lawyers, we have the experience and compassion to accurately assess the value of your motor vehicle accident injury case. We have helped thousands of people injured in Nevada bus accidents and are ready to serve you. Give us a call at (702) 384-1414 to speak to a Las Vegas bus accident attorney today.