Each year, stairway related accidents amount to thousands of dollars in damages. These injuries can be caused by broken or faulty stairs, hand rails or uneven surfaces.
But who is to blame if you injure yourself on a stairway in Las Vegas? A slip and fall accident becomes a personal injury case when the business fails to keep their property safe. Harris & Harris Injury Lawyers are here to fight for what you deserve.
What is the Cause of Stairs Accidents?
Many people think that falling or tripping on a stairway is just a result of them being clumsy. They assume the fault is their own and never seek professional help. Many staircase injuries are actually the result of negligence on the property owner’s behalf. Here are some examples of negligent maintenance from property owners that can lead to serious injury:
- Slippery Surfaces – Wet floors without a caution sign over it.
- Poor Lighting – Broken or insufficient lights in stairwells and entryways
- Faulty or non-existent handrails
- Uneven steps
- Stair height – Improper length and height of the stairs compared to local building codes.
- Natural Deterioration – Staircases made of wood that has deteriorated, or rusty metal handrails
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
Slip and fall accidents can occur almost anywhere. The most likely places for slip and fall accidents to occur in Las Vegas are:
- Apartment and Condominium Complexes
What Can I Claim for My Stairs Accident?
Our personal injury attorneys know that unsafe stairs often result in long, hard falls that can cause serious and life-threatening injuries, resulting in a lower quality of living. We can claim for the following:
- Injuries – the more severe or permanent your physical injuries are, the more compensation you deserve
- Medical Bills – such as emergency room visits, diagnostic tests, x rays, follow up doctor visits, etc.
- Lost Wages – you might miss work while injured, resulting in lost income.
- Emotional Distress – pain and suffering
- Out of pocket expenses
- Future treatment – your injuries might require treatment long after the accident occurred
Who is Liable for Stairs Injuries?
Under Nevada premises liability law, it is the responsibility of the property owner to maintain reasonably safe conditions. If dangerous property conditions result in a stairs accidents and serious injuries, you can receive compensation for your medical expenses, pain, suffering, and lost wages.
A property owner is liable for your injuries if:
- The owner of the premises or an employee knew about a dangerous surface and neglected to take reasonable steps to fix the dangerous situation.
- The owner or employee is directly responsible for the injuries; whether it was a spill on the floor, failure to use a warning sign, or another dangerous condition.
- The injuries sustained are verifiable.
What to Do After a Staircase Accident?
It is very important to take action immediately following a stairs accident, especially if you are going to submit a claim with an attorney. Make sure to do the following:
- Seek medical assistance if needed
- Take pictures of your injury/injuries
- Take pictures of the area where the accident took place
- Contact a slip and fall attorney
Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney for your Stairs Accident
Call today! – At Harris & Harris Injury Lawyers, we have extensive experience helping people who have sustained injuries involving staircase accidents etc. If you want to discuss your case, call for a free consultation at (702) 384-1414.